Current East Coast Greenway Alliance Job Openings:
We are currently hiring a Communications Manager to help raise the profile of the East Coast Greenway. Applications are due July 15, 2016. Full position description below also available as a PDF.
Position Description: The Communications Manager is a full-time position to raise the profile of the East Coast Greenway (ECG). She/he will be supervised by the Executive Director and will work closely with other staff including the Director of Greenway Programs and Office Manager. Some travel and occasional evenings and weekend work required.
Location: She/he will most likely be based in our headquarters in Durham, NC.
- Manage external communications for our growing non-profit, with a vision and plan to grow the East Coast Greenway to national prominence.
- Manage website content at greenway.org.
- Lead and expand the organization’s social media engagement.
- Grow conventional media exposure through powerful storytelling and relationship-building.
- Prepare multi-media publications including Annual Report, monthly e-newsletter, and twice per year print newsletter integrating infographics and video to convey ECG vision effectively.
- Keep the online face of our organization fresh and inspiring.
- Grow website visitation and interaction.
- Coordinate blog posts to complement other media content.
B. Social Media
- Manage effective engagement via Facebook, Twitter, and other platforms.
- Continue quick growth of our social media network from ~15,000 people today.
C. Monthly E-Newsletter
- Develop substantive and compelling e-newsletters every month showcasing greenway progress throughout our Maine to Florida corridor.
- Grow e-newsletter subscribers and entire network of supporters and followers from 40,000 people to our Strategic Plan goal of 100,000 in 2020.
D. Media Relations
- Develop press releases that share greenway progress and stories in a compelling way with regional and national media outlets (from newspapers to radio to TV).
- Track media coverage and foster its growth to Strategic Plan benchmarks.
- Cultivate relationships with relevant journalists to maximize media attention and raise the East Coast Greenway profile.
- Coordinate staff and volunteer ECGA leadership for optimal media engagement.
- Develop Annual Report and twice per year print newsletter, effectively conveying organizational and project progress.
- Assess and update all print and digital promotional materials.
- Work closely with development team to integrate education, stewardship, and engagement of key supporters.
F. Assist with other communications tasks as assigned
Ideal Candidate Qualifications:
- Experience developing and leading communications in a non-profit organization.
- Passionate commitment to ECGA mission.
- Strong sense of personal responsibility and integrity.
- Positive, can-do attitude.
- Bachelor’s degree required in a relevant field such as Journalism or Mass Communications.
- Five years or more of professional Communications experience. Nonprofit experience is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and tactfully with a wide range of people and personalities to establish collaborative partnerships.
- Able to engage and motivate volunteers.
- Strong computer skills: Word, Adobe InDesign & Illustrator, WordPress, Photoshop, Powerpoint, and email marketing systems. Video experience a plus.
- Entrepreneurial and strategic approach to work; takes initiative and applies sound judgment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Exceptional attention to detail.
- Team player.
- Able to function in a fast-paced work environment; able to work on several project deadlines simultaneously, delivering professional work on-time and on-budget.
- Well-organized, self-motivated and independent worker: understands the need to develop work plans and to prioritize work efficiently. Takes record-keeping and file management seriously.
- Experience managing interns.
Salary: full-time competitive salary commensurate with experience.
- 10 holidays
- 10 vacation days (increases to 15 after first year of service)
- 10 sick days
- 80% of premium cost for medical and dental insurance for the employee and 50% toward dependents via group policy.
How to apply: Interested candidates should send a cover letter (attn: Dennis Markatos-Soriano, Executive Director) detailing interest, preferred salary range, qualifications with resume, short writing sample, and 3 references as single pdf attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 15th, 2016.
The East Coast Greenway Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and seeks qualified candidates regardless of race, color, creed, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, or national origin. We are committed to achieving an inclusive, diverse workplace that values every individual.