Welcome to the East Coast Greenway in Washington, D.C.
The East Coast Greenway enters the District of Columbia from the north at the Prince George’s County line in Brentwood, Maryland. From there the route is on roadways until it connects with the Met Branch Trail, which takes you to Union Station. From Union Station, travelers will proceed to the National Mall. The Mall takes trail users west to Memorial Bridge and the Potomac River crossing to Virginia, connecting with the scenic Mount Vernon Trail.
The Washington, D.C. Committee for the East Coast Greenway consists of volunteers who coordinate route selection and undertake advocacy efforts to move the Greenway ahead locally. Current projects include:
- Posting signage along the entire route through the District
- Continue work to complete Metropolitan Branch Trail
How to get involved
- Join the East Coast Greenway Alliance. As a member, you’ll receive monthly news and features about the Greenway and its development.
- “Friend” us. For news about the Greenway, timely event notices, and other updates, follow the East Coast Greenway Alliance on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Contact us. Let us know of your interest in volunteering. Contact:
- Eric Brenner, Washington D.C. Committee Chair, 301.927.1900
- Andy Hamilton, Mid-Atlantic Coordinator for the East Coast Greenway, 267.236.3407
- Guide to the ECG in Maryland / DC, published April, 2013. Download here, or order a hardcopy here (cost is $5 for shipping and handling).
- The ECG Trip Planner allows you to generate customized point-to-point cue sheets for your ECG trip, with accompanying maps and elevation profiles, or to export your route as a GPX file to load onto your Garmin or other GPS device.
- Washington Area Bicyclist Association: www.waba.org
- Washington, DC area multi-use trails: www.bikewashington.org/trails
Our Partners and Supporters in the District of Columbia
- The East Coast Greenway Alliance is proud to be working with many great partners to bring the project to completion in the District of Columbia. Our partners include but are not limited to:
- Coalition for the Metropolitan Branch Trail www.metbranchtrail.com
- District Department of Transportation www.ddot.dc.gov
- National Park Service www.nps.gov
- Washington Area Bicyclists Association (WABA) www.waba.org
- DC Blueprint for Action
- DC Benchmark Assessment
- Trail Builder’s Toolbox– ECG trail building, routing, signing, and designation materials
- Advocacy Toolkit – ECG advocacy, communications, and graphics guides and materials
Click map to view and download an overview of the Greenway route through Washington, D.C.