Watch Delaware Governor Jack Markell speak about improving the quality of life in Delaware through greenways and trails
Welcome to the East Coast Greenway in Delaware
The East Coast Greenway travels 43 miles through Delaware, including 22.8 miles (54 percent) of completed trail. Travelers breeze through the quiet, forested beauty of northern Delaware along the Northern Delaware Greenway, which leads to an on-road section through historic downtown Wilmington. The route through Wilmington ends at the Christina Riverwalk, a nice place to stop for a stroll along the river and some lunch.
Leaving Wilmington on road, the next stop is historic New Castle, where the Greenway meanders along the New Castle Riverfront Greenway. The route incorporates side paths and roads to Newark, a small college town near the Maryland border where travelers will find themselves on the James F. Hall Trail before hitting the road again to the Maryland border.
The Delaware Committee for the East Coast Greenway consists of volunteers who coordinate route selection and Greenway advocacy with public agencies and organizations at the local and state levels. Current committee projects include:
- Building a bike/ped bridge over the Christina River
- Completing the Industrial Track Trail connecting Wilmington with New Castle
- Designing a safe crossing of Route 13 in New Castle
- Closing the remaining obstruction on the Northern Delaware Greenway in Wilmington.
How to get involved
- Join the East Coast Greenway Alliance. As a member, you’ll receive monthly news and features about the Greenway and its development.
- “Friend” us. For news about the Greenway, timely event notices, and other updates, follow the East Coast Greenway Alliance on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Contact us. Let us know of your interest in volunteering. Contact:
- Bobbi Britton, chair, Delaware Committee
- Andy Hamilton, Mid-Atlantic Coordinator for the East Coast Greenway, 267-236-3407
- Pennsylvania & Delaware: A Guide to Bicycling and Walking is a travelers guide with detailed maps, cue sheets, and travel information. Purchase a printed copy here, or download the free PDF.
- The ECG Trip Planner allows you to generate customized point-to-point cue sheets for your ECG trip, with accompanying maps and elevation profiles, or to export your route as a GPX file to load onto your Garmin or other GPS device.
- Bike Delaware www.bikede.org
- Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control www.destateparks.com/greenway/
- Delaware DOT http://www.deldot.gov/
- Delaware Greenways www.delawaregreenways.org
- Wilmington Trail Club www.wilmingtontrailclub.org
- White Clay Bicycle Club www.whiteclaybicycleclub.org
- Wilmington Area Municipal Planning Organization http://www.wilmapco.org/
Our Partners and Supporters in Delaware
The East Coast Greenway Alliance is proud to be working with many great partners to bring the project to completion in the state of Delaware. Partners include but are not limited to:
- Bike Delaware
- Blue Ball Properties
- Delaware Bicycle Council
- Delaware Bicycle News
- Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control
- Delaware Department of Transportation
- Delaware Greenways
- Newark Department of Parks & Recreation
- New Castle County Department of Special Services
- Riverfront Development Corporation
- The Trustees of New Castle Common
- Wilmington Area Planning Council (WILMAPCO)
- Wilmington Renaissance Corporation
- Wilmington Trail Club
- White Clay Bicycle Club