North Carolina Committee for the East Coast Greenway
The North Carolina Committee for the ECG consists of volunteers who coordinate route selection and undertake our advocacy efforts to move the Greenway ahead in their state. By building support and partnerships with citizens, public agencies, and organizations at the local and state levels, the North Carolina Committee is helping to get the ECG on the ground, mile by mile.
Representatives from the East Coast Greenway Alliance, the Carolina Thread Trail and Friends of the Mountains to Sea Trail met with state cabinet secretaries from five departments on July 17, 2014 to discuss the inter-agency importance of multi-use trails across the state of North Carolina.
Focused on economic growth and job creation, the meeting included Secretary of Commerce, Sharon Decker, Secretary of Transportation, Tony Tata, Secretary of Health & Human Services, Aldona Wos, Secretary of Cultural Resources, Susan Kluttz, and Assistant Secretary for Natural Resources, Brad Ives.
Upcoming North Carolina Committee meeting
Thursday, August 28, 10:00am – 2:30pm (NC) – ECG North Carolina State Committee meeting. The Wilmington MPO is kindly hosting the next NC State Committee meeting at Thalian Hall, 310 Chestnut Street, Wilmington, NC, 28401. The meeting starts at 10:00 and will include a break and walk to lunch. After lunch, we will reconvene to wrap up discussions. Meeting is open to the public.
Some of our current goals in North Carolina include:
- Sign the route with ECG trail markers to raise awareness and enhance the trail experience
- Designating trails
- Support connections between existing greenway trails and gap areas
- Host strong events such as biking the Cabot Tour throughout our route in late May and early June
- Trail Builder’s Toolbox – ECG trail building, routing, signing, and designation materials
- Advocacy Toolkit – ECG advocacy, communications, and graphics guides and materials
The North Carolina Committee consists of volunteers who dedicate their time and resources to advocate for the creation of local trails. Please help the Committee create the ECG in NC by volunteering your time, becoming a member or sponsoring a mile of trail.
Recently, the North Carolina Committee has:
- Held the first NC-ECG Summit, bringing together stakeholders from local and state agencies and organizations to collaborate on route planning and implementation
- Posted ECG trail markers along all designated trails in Wilmington
- Installed an information/mile sponsor kiosk on the American Tobacco Trail in Durham
- Supported efforts for bridge design and construction along the American Tobacco Trail in Durham and Wake counties
- Bicycle along our current route and report any issues or concerns
- Help develop potential rail-to-trail projects north of Wilmington
- Support events and other activities to engage the public in advancing the ECG
Sponsor a Mile of the ECG in North Carolina
Mile sponsors will have their inscriptions permanently posted in a kiosk along the route in North Carolina and on our website. Learn more.
Become a member of the ECGA
Your membership dues support our advocacy work in North Carolina. Please join today and help us complete the route!
South Atlantic Region Trail Coordinator