New York Committee for the East Coast Greenway
The New York Committee for the ECG consists of volunteers who coordinate route selection and undertake our advocacy efforts to move the Greenway ahead in New York. By building support and partnerships with citizens, public agencies and organizations at the local and state levels, the New York Committee is helping to get the ECG on the ground, mile by mile. Stay up-to-date on the latest NY events and news! Send an email to email@example.com to be added to the New York e-news list. Current Committee Goals Committee Resources Support the Effort in New York Contact Information.
Thursday September 17th, The next meeting of the New York Committee for the East Coast Greenway, located at NYC Parks’ Arsenal West, 24 W. 61st St., Manhattan, 4th floor, 4 to 6 pm.
Shorewalkers aims to enhance and enjoy the pathways along the waters in and around New York City. Its numerous walks are often on the East Coast Greenway. For its Walk Calendar: http://www.shorewalkers.org.
Saturday, September 12: Bronx River Alliance’s 3d Annual Bronx River Bike Tour, a 23-mile ride. Return by bike or train. http://bronxriver.org.
Sunday, October 11: 8th Annual Hudson Loop Ride, a 20-mile loop along both the Manhattan and New Jersey sides of the Hudson River. http://www.eventbrite.com/o/east-coast-greenway-alliance-2079141823. (Led by the NY Committee and NJ Committee for the East Coast Greenway*)
* Thanks to volunteers Tony Savarese and Scott Baker for planning and leading these rides, which are free for members of the East Coast Greenway Alliance. Non-members can join all the bike rides offered in 2015 for a first-year, special-events rate of $20. For details, or in support of the ECGA’s mission to develop a safe trail for bicyclists and walkers between Maine and Florida, please visit http://www.greenway.org. To learn more about the rides themselves: firstname.lastname@example.org.
OTHER RIDE EVENTS
Bicycle Sundays in Westchester County: June and September. 10 AM – 2 PM
Summer Streets in Manhattan: August 2, 9, and 16. 7 AM – 1 PM
Every day: Bike New York
New York Committee News:
East Coast Greenway Winery Experience Tour in New Jersey, on Saturday-Sunday, September 19-20, is Gotham Bike Tours’ newest guided- tour offering. Two-day tour with overnight camping with hotel option. Fully accessible by public transit. Details at: http://gothambiketours.com/portfolio-item/east-coast-greenway-winery-experience-tour/#tab-id-1.
Brandon is a corporate finance attorney who works for Covenant Review LLC, a financial research firm. Outside of work, Brandon spends a lot of time participating in fitness-oriented challenges such as Spartan races, the Urbanatholon, half marathons, and Savage runs as he enjoy pushing his body as hard as his mind. It is this pursuit of health and his active lifestyle has joined the ECGA’s Board of Trustees. Brandon truly believes that by providing an outlet such as the East Coast Greenway, we can begin to address and combat the obesity crisis that is prevalent in American society today, especially in our youth. We are excited to be working with you Brandon!
New York Committee The New York Committee consists of volunteers who dedicated their time and resources to advocate for the creation of local trails in New York. You to can help the Committee by volunteering your time, becoming a member or sponsoring a mile of trail. Recent accomplishments of the New York Committee include:
- Actively supported a UN-land-swap plan that will (among other things) fund construction along the East River of a greenway to close the gap between E. 38th and E. 60th Streets. Advocated for parking-protected bicycle lanes on First/Second Avenues, Manhattan, to provide safe cycling in the interim.
- Worked with NYC Department of Parks to blaze 9.5 miles of our route through parkland in the Bronx with our distinctive ECG route marker.
- Successfully advocated for the placement of sharrow type pavement markings along portions of the ECG route in the Bronx.
- With BWAWP, led the successful effort to pass “Merrill’s Law” requiring motorists in New York State to pass cyclists “at a safe distance.”
- Persuaded NY State DOT to do a feasibility study of a bike/pedestrian pathway in the Hutchinson River Parkway right-of-way that would link the planned Merritt Parkway Trail in CT with White Plains and the Bronx River Pathway.
- Supported White Plains efforts to implement bicycle facilities.
- Persuaded the NYC Department of Transportation to mark the ECG route in NYC and NJ on its annually updated, free NYC Cycling Map. nyc.gov/bikes.
The New York Committee currently needs volunteers to:
- Write support letters to their public officials for various projects
- Represent the ECG at events
Sponsor a Mile of the ECG in New York
Mile sponsors will have their inscriptions posted on our website and eventually posted in a kiosk along the route in New York. Learn more.
Become a member of the ECGA
ECGA Mid-Atlantic Trail Coordinator: Andy Hamilton: email@example.com 267-236-3407
Co-Chair: Elizabeth Brody: firstname.lastname@example.org 212-262-6880
Co-Chair: Carl Podwoski: email@example.com
State Committee Technical Advisor for Route Planning and Design: Jackson Wandres: firstname.lastname@example.org (212) 741-8090 x103 718-430-4635 State Committee , Staten Island Coordinator: Robert DeBiase email@example.com Bronx Coordinator: Claudia Ibaven, Greenway Director, Bronx River Alliance: firstname.lastname@example.org 718-430-4618. Westchester Coordinator: Duff Bailey, Executive Director, Bike Walk Alliance of Westchester & Putnam: email@example.com 914-263-5034 << To ConnecticutTo New Jersey >>