New York Committee for the East Coast Greenway
The New York Committee for the ECG consists of volunteers who coordinate route selection and undertake our advocacy efforts to move the Greenway ahead in New York. By building support and partnerships with citizens, public agencies and organizations at the local and state levels, the New York Committee is helping to get the ECG on the ground, mile by mile. Stay up-to-date on the latest NY events and news! Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the New York e-news list. Current Committee Goals, Committee Resources, Support the Effort in New York, and Contact Information.
Sunday, August 14, 2016: Manhattan Loop Ride, the ever-popular 32-mile ride around Manhattan’s rim, with a new view at every turn! The ride uses greenways along the Hudson and East Rivers except for the “east side gap.” Information and registration.
Sunday, October 9, 2016: 9th Annual Hudson Loop Ride, a 20-mile loop along both the Manhattan and New Jersey sides of the Hudson River, led jointly by the New York and New Jersey committees for the East Coast Greenway. Information and registration.
These rides are free for members of the East Coast Greenway Alliance. Non-members can join all four bike rides for a first-year, special-events rate of $20. Registration is required. For more about the rides themselves, email email@example.com.
SELECTED PARTNER WALKS
Saturday, July 16: Bronx
Coast to Coast Walk 2016, a 16-mile walk from the Hudson River to the Long Island Sound, largely
along the East Coast Greenway,
http://freewalkers.org/events/bronx-coast-to-coast-walk-2016. FreeWalkers(www.freewalkers.org), offers longer walks on the East
Coast Greenway and beyond.
PADDLE WITH OUR PARTNER, the Bronx River Alliance on the Bronx River! Details available on their website.
OTHER RIDE EVENTS
Every day: Bike New York
New York Committee News:
Catherine graduated from Harvard Law School in 2009 and currently serves as an an attorney in New York County. She is an avid cyclist who first got her start cycling as a bicycle commuter in New York City. She fell in love with the way that cycling allowed her to explore places new and familiar and to get some exercise at the same time. Catherine became interesting in bicycle touring following a tour in France, where she was impressed by the the safe cycling infrastructure. She enjoys serving on the ECGA board in order to help expand this kind of infrastructure at home.
The New York Committee consists of volunteers who dedicated their time and resources to advocate for the creation of local trails in New York. You to can help the Committee by volunteering your time, becoming a member or sponsoring a mile of trail. Recent accomplishments of the New York Committee include:
- Actively supported a UN-land-swap plan that will (among other things) fund construction along the East River of a greenway to close the gap between E. 38th and E. 60th Streets. Advocated for parking-protected bicycle lanes on First/Second Avenues, Manhattan, to provide safe cycling in the interim.
- Worked with NYC Department of Parks to blaze 9.5 miles of our route through parkland in the Bronx with our distinctive ECG route marker.
- Successfully advocated for the placement of sharrow type pavement markings along portions of the ECG route in the Bronx.
- With BWAWP, led the successful effort to pass “Merrill’s Law” requiring motorists in New York State to pass cyclists “at a safe distance.”
- Persuaded NY State DOT to do a feasibility study of a bike/pedestrian pathway in the Hutchinson River Parkway right-of-way that would link the planned Merritt Parkway Trail in CT with White Plains and the Bronx River Pathway.
- Supported White Plains efforts to implement bicycle facilities.
- Persuaded the NYC Department of Transportation to mark the ECG route in NYC and NJ on its annually updated, free NYC Cycling Map. nyc.gov/bikes.
The New York Committee currently needs volunteers to:
- Write support letters to their public officials for various projects
- Represent the ECG at events
Sponsor a Mile of the ECG in New York
Mile sponsors will have their inscriptions posted on our website and eventually posted in a kiosk along the route in New York. Learn more.
Become a member of the ECGA
ECGA Mid-Atlantic Trail Coordinator: Andy Hamilton: firstname.lastname@example.org 267-236-3407
Co-Chair: Elizabeth Brody: email@example.com 212-262-6880
Co-Chair: Carl Podwoski: firstname.lastname@example.org
State Committee Technical Advisor for Route Planning and Design: Jackson Wandres: email@example.com (212) 741-8090 x103 718-430-4635 State Committee , Staten Island Coordinator: Robert DeBiase firstname.lastname@example.org Bronx Coordinator: Claudia Ibaven, Greenway Director, Bronx River Alliance: email@example.com 718-430-4618. Westchester Coordinator: Duff Bailey, Executive Director, Bike Walk Alliance of Westchester & Putnam: firstname.lastname@example.org 914-263-5034 << To ConnecticutTo New Jersey >>