New York Committee for the East Coast Greenway
The New York Committee for the East Coast Greenway Alliance consists of volunteers who coordinate route selection and undertake advocacy efforts to move the Greenway ahead in New York. By building support and partnerships with citizens, public agencies and organizations at the local and state levels, the New York Committee is helping to get the ECG on the ground, mile by mile.
Stay up-to-date on the latest NY events and news! Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the New York e-news list. Current Committee Goals, Committee Resources, Support the Effort in New York, and Contact Information.
Next quarterly meeting of New York Committee of the ECGA
Wednesday, January 4, 2017, 4-6 pm
NYC Parks Department’s Arsenal West, 24 West 61st Street, 4th Floor. (Closest subway: 1/ A/C/B/D to 59th St. Columbus Circle)
Meeting is open to all. Agenda includes:
- discussion of East Coast Greenway routing in Westchester, NY/western CT. Conn DOT’s Merritt Parkway Multi-Use Trail Feasibility Study is expected to be released by year’s end
- planning for bike rides and other local events in 2017
- participation in civic activities in NYC, Westchester County, and New York State.
UPCOMING BIKE RIDES:
Tentative dates for 2017:
5-Island Ride, May 14 (Mother’s Day); rain date May 21
City Island Ride, June 11, rain date June 18 (Father’s Day)
Manhattan Loop, August 6, rain date August 13
Hudson Loop, October 8, rain date October 15
These rides are free for members of the East Coast Greenway Alliance. Non-members can join for a first-year, special-events rate of $20. Registration is required. For more about the rides themselves, email email@example.com.
SELECTED PARTNER WALKS
FreeWalkers: Offers longer walks on the East Coast Greenway and beyond.
Bronx River Alliance: Paddle on the Bronx River.
OTHER RIDE EVENTS
Every day: Bike New York
New York Committee News:
Catherine graduated from Harvard Law School in 2009 and currently is an attorney in New York County. She is an avid cyclist who first got her start cycling as a bicycle commuter in New York City. She fell in love with the way that cycling allowed her to explore places both new and familiar and to get some exercise at the same time. Catherine became interested in bicycle touring following a tour in France, where she was impressed by the the safe cycling infrastructure. She enjoys serving on the ECGA board in order to help expand this kind of infrastructure at home.
The New York Committee consists of volunteers who dedicated their time and resources to advocate for the creation of local trails in New York. You to can help the Committee by volunteering your time, becoming a member or sponsoring a mile of trail. Recent accomplishments of the New York Committee include:
- Actively supported a UN-land-swap plan that will (among other things) fund construction along the East River of a greenway to close the gap between E. 38th and E. 60th Streets. Advocated for parking-protected bicycle lanes on First/Second Avenues, Manhattan, to provide safe cycling in the interim.
- Worked with NYC Department of Parks to blaze 9.5 miles of our route through parkland in the Bronx with our distinctive ECG route marker.
- Successfully advocated for the placement of sharrow type pavement markings along portions of the ECG route in the Bronx.
- Led the successful effort to pass “Merrill’s Law” requiring motorists in New York State to pass cyclists “at a safe distance.”
- Persuaded NYSDOT to do a feasibility study of a bike/pedestrian pathway in the Hutchinson River Parkway right-of-way that would link the planned Merritt Parkway Trail in CT with White Plains and the Bronx River Pathway.
- Supported White Plains efforts to implement bicycle facilities.
- Persuaded the NYC Department of Transportation to mark the ECG route in NYC and NJ on its annually updated, free NYC Cycling Map. nyc.gov/bikes.
The New York Committee currently needs volunteers to:
- Write support letters to their public officials for various projects
- Represent the ECGA at events
Become a member of the ECGA
ECGA Tri-State Greenway Coordinator: Bruce Donald: firstname.lastname@example.org, (860)-707-2888.
NY Committee Co-Chair: Elizabeth Brody: email@example.com, (212)-262-6880.
NY Committee Co-Chair: Carl Podwoski: firstname.lastname@example.org.
State Committee Technical Advisor for Route Planning and Design:Jackson Wandres : email@example.com (212)-741-8090 x103, (718)-430-4635.
Staten Island Coordinator: Robert DeBiase firstname.lastname@example.org
Bronx Coordinator: Claudia Ibaven, Greenway Director, Bronx River Alliance: email@example.com,(718)-430-4618.