New York Committee for the East Coast Greenway
The New York Committee for the ECG consists of volunteers who coordinate route selection and undertake our advocacy efforts to move the Greenway ahead in New York. By building support and partnerships with citizens, public agencies and organizations at the local and state levels, the New York Committee is helping to get the ECG on the ground, mile by mile. Stay up-to-date on the latest NY events and news! Send an email to eastcoastgreenwayNY@gmail.com to be added to the New York e-news list. Current Committee Goals Committee Resources Support the Effort in New York Contact Information NEWS & EVENTS Next New York ECG State Committee meeting – Thursday, September 4th, 4-6 PM at NYC Parks’ Arsenal West, 4th Floor. 24 W. 61 St., (near Columbus Circle). We’ll discuss developments and plan projects and events in New York. Open to the public, and we welcome new members! Download the NY Committee’s most recent Newsletter! Stay tuned for more upcoming events in 2014.
RELATED EVENTS Aug., Sept.:
“BICYCLE SUNDAYS”: car-free Bronx River Parkway, 10 am – 2 pm.
Join the Bronx River Alliance Greenway Team, Boogie Down Rides, Five Borough Bicycle Club, and the East Coast Greenway Alliance for a friendly 23 or 46-mile ride along the Bronx River Greenway, from the estuary of the Bronx River to its source at the Kensico Dam in Westchester County. Also a chance to experience the car-free parkway event in Westchester County. Gather at 9:30am at the Soundview Park field house (on Lafayette Avenue near Colgate Avenue). Nearest subway stop #6 Elder Ave.
Please register by contacting:
Every day: NYC Bike Share: Citi Bikes
New York Committee News: We welcome Robert Baron, of the Bike Walk Alliance of Westchester & Putnam to the NY East Coast Greenway Committee. We look forward to working with Robert on issues throughout Westchester.
New York Committee The New York Committee consists of volunteers who dedicated their time and resources to advocate for the creation of local trails in New York. Please help the Committee by volunteering your time, becoming a member or sponsoring a mile of trail. Recent accomplishments of the New York Committee include:
- Actively supported a UN-land-swap plan that will (among other things) fund construction along the East River of a greenway to close the gap between E. 38th and E. 60th Streets. Advocated for parking-protected bicycle lanes on First/Second Avenues, Manhattan, to provide safe cycling in the interim.
- Worked with NYC Department of Parks to blaze 9.5 miles of our route through parkland in the Bronx with our distinctive ECG route marker.
- Successfully advocated for the placement of sharrow type pavement markings along portions of the ECG route in the Bronx.
- With BWAWP, led the successful effort to pass “Merrill’s Law” requiring motorists in New York State to pass cyclists “at a safe distance.”
- Persuaded NY State DOT to do a feasibility study of a bike/pedestrian pathway in the Hutchinson River Parkway right-of-way that would link the planned Merritt Parkway Trail in CT with White Plains and the Bronx River Pathway.
- Supported work by White Plains to implement bicycle facilities.
- Persuaded the NYC Department of Transportation to mark the ECG route in NYC and NJ on its annually updated, free NYC Cycling Map. nyc.gov/bikes.
The New York Committee currently needs volunteers to:
- Write support letters to their public officials for various projects
- Represent the ECG at events
- Help maintain the NY committee website
Sponsor a Mile of the ECG in New York
Mile sponsors will have their inscriptions posted on our website and eventually posted in a kiosk along the route in New York. Learn more.
Become a member of the ECGA
Your membership dues support our advocacy work in New York! Contact Information: ECGA Mid-Atlantic Trail Coordinator:
Andy Hamilton: email@example.com 267-236-3407
State Committee Technical Advisor for Route Planning and Design: Jackson Wandres: firstname.lastname@example.org (212) 741-8090 x103 718-430-4635 State Committee Co-Chair: Elizabeth Brody: email@example.com 212-262-6880, Staten Island Coordinator: Robert DeBiase firstname.lastname@example.org Bronx Coordinator: Claudia Ibaven, Greenway Director, Bronx River Alliance: email@example.com 718-430-4618. Westchester Coordinator: Duff Bailey, Executive Director, Bike Walk Alliance of Westchester & Putnam: firstname.lastname@example.org 914-263-5034 << To ConnecticutTo New Jersey >>