South Carolina Committee for the East Coast Greenway
The South Carolina Committee for the ECG consists of volunteers who coordinate route selection and undertake our advocacy efforts to move the Greenway ahead in the state. By building support and partnerships with citizens, public agencies, and organizations at the local and state levels, the South Carolina Committee is helping to get the ECG on the ground, mile by mile.
Friday, September 12, 10am – Webinar for ECG SC State Committee
Topic: Advancing the East Coast Greenway. Join us on this webinar for understanding the ECG route adoption process and ECG design standards. Understand how the ECG “adopts” new trails into its route, trail design standards for the ECG, steps in the ECG designation process, and route terminology (i.e. “interim,” “permanent,” “alternate,” etc). Though tailored for South Carolina, everyone is welcome to attend who wants to learn more about our trail program.
On February 11th, 2014 a newly formed SC state committee met in Charleston to discuss priorities and goals for the coming years. Over 24 representatives from the North Myrtle Beach area all the way to Blufton, met to strategize about ways to accelerate greenway development along our SC route. Updates from the Waccamaw region, Charleston region, and the Lowcountry region kicked off the meeting, followed by discussions about the new ECG state committee role and the formation of action-oriented sub-committees. We look forward to continuing to make strong progress in SC, particularly in advance of the ECG State of the Greenway summit in November 2014.
Some of the most pressing goals of the South Carolina Committee include:
- Identifying a route from Bluffton to Savannah
- Connecting greenway trails in Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle Beach
- Exploring a rails-with-trails opportunity from the southern end of the West Ashley Greenway to Beaufort
- South Carolina Benchmark Assessment
- Trail Builder’s Toolbox – ECG trail building, routing, signing, and designation materials
- Advocacy Toolkit – ECG advocacy, communications, and graphics guides and materials
The South Carolina Committee consists of volunteers who dedicate their time and resources to advocate for the creation of trails in South Carolina. Please help the Committee create the ECG in South Carolina by volunteering your time and becoming a member of the East Coast Greenway Alliance.
Recently, the South Carolina Committee:
- Supported planning efforts for the planning of a bike/ped bridge over the Ashley River
- Worked with Myrtle Beach on the development of a new 3.5-mile segment of Greenway
- Supported the development of a bike/ped bridge in Murrel’s Inlet on the Waccamaw Neck Bikeway
The SC Committee currently needs volunteers to:
- Travel the current route and give feedback
- Work to identify funds and provide volunteer time to build kiosks
- Support efforts to sign trails in Charleston and Mount Pleasant
Become a member of the ECGA
Your membership dues support our advocacy work in South Carolina. Please join today!
State Committee Co-Chair
Leigh Wood Kane
State Committee Co-Chair
South Atlantic Region Trail Coordinator