New Jersey Committee for the East Coast Greenway
The New Jersey Committee for the ECG consists of volunteers and one paid staff member who coordinate route selection and undertake our advocacy efforts to move the Greenway ahead in New Jersey. By building support and partnerships with citizens, public agencies and organizations at the local and state levels, the NJ Committee is helping to get the ECG on the ground, mile by mile.
Current Committee Goals
Support the Effort in New Jersey
NJ Committee members and ECGA staff explore route options Middlesex County.
- Continue with plans to build additional kiosks along the trail
- Install wayfinding signs along the entire ECG New Jersey route
- Work on the completion of the Merrill Park/Roosevelt Park segment of the trail
- Assist in the efforts of the 6th Street Embankment
- Complete additional trail designations
- Re-establish office space for NJ-ECG, preferably in a state or county office
- Continue to work on sources of funding
NJ Committee members and partners installed NJ’s first ECG kiosk along the D&R Canal Towpath in East Millstone.
In 2007, the NJ Committee:
- Completed 100% of the travel route in the state, with over 40% as designated trail
- Installed a new Kiosk in East Millstone, NJ
- Developed a Travel Guide in conjunction with the NJ Department of Transportation
- Merrill Park Mini-Summit held in September, 2007
- Statewide Close the Gaps Summit in December, 2007
The NJ Committee consists of volunteers and one part time staff member who is paid out of NJ membership dues. Please help the Committee create the ECG in NJ by volunteering your time, becoming a member or sponsoring a mile of trail. With your help, we can become the first state to complete our segment of the East Coast Greenway!
The NJ Committee brought together stakeholders from throughout the state at the 2007 ECG NJ Summit. Photo: Anne Kruimer
The NJ Committee currently needs volunteers to:
- Contact county and local municipal officials to request placing signage along the ECG Current Travel Route
- elected officials & local, state and federal representatives asking them to support the ECG and ask them to seek funding to complete it.
- Organize group rides along the ECG
- Coordinate ECG trail designations
- Prepare grant applications
- Support on the 6th Street Embankment project
- Aid in developing and distributing the periodic newsletter and distributing
- Keeping Kiosk(s) up to date
- Join the Trail Corps
Sponsor a Mile of the ECG in New Jersey
Mile sponsors will have their inscriptions posted on our website and at a kiosk along the route in New Jersey. Learn more.
Become a member of the ECG in New Jersey
By joining, you will automatically become a member of both the national ECGA and the NJ Committee. Half of your membership dues will directly support the efforts in New Jersey. Learn more.
The 2000 ECG Wave event in New Jersey.
Mike Kruimer, Committee Chair. 732-287-9447 or email email@example.com
Dolores Newman, NJ Program Consultant. 201-368-0678 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
David Ascher, Secretary, Trails Committee Member
Mae Deas, Membership Committee Chair
Michael Dannemiller, Trails Committee Chair
Mike Selender, Trails Committee Co-Chair
Lee Onyx, Events Committee Chair
Dennis Miranda, Long Range Planning Committee Chair
Annette Shultz, Planning Consultant
Any group that is interested in having someone from the East Coast Greenway (ECG) make a presentation, please call Mike at (732) 287-9447. We have speakers available who will come with materials to hand out and videos to show.
<< To New York To Pennsylvania >>
Click the map for a larger view