Virginia Committee for the East Coast Greenway
The Virginia Committee for the ECG consists of volunteers who coordinate route selection and undertake our advocacy efforts to move the Greenway ahead in Virginia. By building support and partnerships with citizens, public agencies and organizations at the local and state levels, the VA Committee is helping to get the ECG on the ground, mile by mile.
News & Events
Current Committee Goals
Support the Effort in Virginia
ECG signage being posted in Occoquan, VA by Mayor Earnie Porter (left) and past ECG VA Committee Chair David Brickley.
Virginia February 2009 Newsletter
Trail proposed to run beside high-speed rail
- Designate trail through Fairfax County, from end of Mt Vernon Trail
- Coordinate with the Potomac Heritage Trail and VA Capital Trail Foundation
- Complete a rails-to-trails project on the spine route south of Petersburg to the North Carolina border
The Virgina Committee consists of volunteers who dedicated their time and resources to advocate for the creation of trails throughout the state. Please help the Committee create the ECG in Virginia by volunteering your time, becoming a member or sponsoring a mile of trail.
Recent accomplishments of the VA Committee include:
- Adopting an interim Historic Coastal Route from Jamestown Settlement to the NC Border and the Dismal Swamp Canal Trail
- Meeting regularly with the state trail advisory council to discuss the state’s bike turnpikes (cross-state bicycle paths), of which the ECG is one
- Planning a safe travel route through Richmond, working with the Sierra Club
The VA Committee currently needs volunteers to:
- Help find routing from Fredericksburg to Petersburg
- Support planning efforts in the Norfolk area
- Get out and travel the route and report issues
Sponsor a Mile of the ECG in Virginia
Mile sponsors will have their inscriptions posted on our website, and eventually posted in a kiosk along the route in Virginia. Learn more
Become a member of the ECGA
Your membership dues support our advocacy work in Virginia. Please join today and help create this American legacy!
VA Committee Chair
South Atlantic Region Trail Coordinator
<< To Washington, DC To North Carolina >>
Click the map for a larger view